Tuesday 12 April 2011

principles and dandy blooms

without realizing


we’ve been upholding a principle that isn’t on our list


and


it’s a principle that I struggle with – the hardest of the lot


it goes against my domestic instinct


it is -


don’t tidy (sweep, clean up, order – that kind of thing)


this principle slipped its way into our consciousness – like a ‘weed’ in my head




I love to sit in the garden –


watching, listening, sniffing, taking it all in


and I love to meander on the patchwork of surfaces



amongst it All



but every time I’ve been in anyone’s garden


I’ve had compelling desires to meddle


not to weed or plant or prune or dig or harvest or squish or nurture


but to arrange or move loose stuff


to sweep


to order


to tidy up (a tad)


to create - the odd intervention with the loose detritus


of shards of glass



I said –



Let’s brush them to one side


or


stack them up in pillars



She said



why?



I said



Well, if there’s no glass on the floor people who come over for a chat can safely sit on the ground without puncturing their bums



She said



Isn’t their safety their responsibility?


Isn’t that the point – that they take responsibility for their interaction with the environment?



I pondered – and concurred


But my urge didn’t wane


hasn’t waned


Not written - but adhered to


This principle – no tidying up


applies when we take photos too –


so


bits of twigs n other stuff


organic or otherwise


come into shot


and stay in shot


no tweaked pristine pics here


just what is there




but in anyone’s garden



anyone else is free to move what they want



and they do



of their own accord



through whatever motivation…





Today I went to anyone’s garden on my own



no cake



no deckchair



no spectacle as such



just me



with camera



scrubbing around



on my knees



photographing a garden in bloom



399 blooms



full blooms



(not buds)



of a single species



the dandelion (Taraxacum)



dandy clusters

dandy groupingsdandy linessingle golden bloomsbursts of sunshinefrom terra firma

yellow reigning over terra nullius acquired through occupation



paling in it’s wake



coltsfoots appear to kowtow


en masse

399 dandy full blooms on this side of the desire line



on the other side



I didn’t count



just a single shot



of some that are there



for now



No comments:

Post a Comment